Sunday, August 2, 2009

They overcame him by.....

Again I apologize for having such a long period of time between posts. And once again it is primarily due to my health. Last Tuesday night my parents were visiting from out of state. In the process of preparing for them to come....cooking, cleaning, etc....I pushed my body far beyond its current limits. Then on Thursday I had some injections in my spine. I am finally starting to recover from overdoing it. Also I am starting to feel some positive effects of the injections. Praise God!!!

What I would like to write about tonight is something I have thought about quite often. I thought about it alot immediately after 9/11. The muslims are quite willing to give their lives for their cause (religion). But I wonder in these United States how many Christians are willing to lay down their lives for our "cause?" People in other countries do it everyday. We have not yet had to face that question here. But I am relatively certain we in this country will have to face that in the not too distant future. I have aske myself the question, "Am I willing to give my life for Jesus Christ?" I am as certain as I can be that the answer is, "Yes."

There is a verse in Revelation 12 that is often quoted. Although generally the last phrase is left off. Here is the quote: "they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony." The last phrase is an extremely important part if someone is to be a true disciple, a true overcomer in God's kingdom. Do you know what that missing phrase is? When I have asked this question only about 25% of the people have been able to finish the verse.


Revelation 12:10-11 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night. 11And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.


To be a true disciple it is necessary to love not your life unto the death. As a Christian our lives are no longer our own. Jesus told us it was necessary to take up our cross. In that day the cross signified death. As we know Jesus was crucified on a Roman cross. Our death is a daily death to our own will, to our desires and a submission to the will and desire of our God. I tend to believe that if we daily take up our cross we would be willing to pay the ultimate price of martyrdom.

Luke 9:23-25 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. 24For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it. 25For what is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast away?

No comments: