Tuesday, October 2, 2012

RIGHTEOUSNESS EXALTS A NATION


Proverbs 14:34 Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.

Proverbs 29:2 When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.

Righteousness does indeed exalt a nation.  We are praying for righteous leaders to be elected to places of leadership within our government.  That is a very good thing.  I am greatly encouraged to see the number of prayer initiatives from various Christian groups leading up to the election, because we have realized that our country is in great trouble.   I am joining my prayers with those of the multitudes of others across the nation. 

But I believe God is looking for righteousness not just amongst our leaders in government, but for righteousness amongst those in leadership in the church and amongst all of us who are called by His name.  

2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

This verse is the basis for the prayer that is being sent up across this land.  God is looking for more than just petitions for a change in our land. God is looking for a change in our hearts, then He will bring a change in our land.  We are to seek His face and turn from our wicked ways.  As we seek His face we will see things in our lives that are not in alignment with His heart and His ways, that we must do something about.  That is part of humbling ourselves as we pray.  We must repent of our own wicked ways and not just pray about the wicked ways of some in our local, state, or national government. Then righteousness will lift up our nation from the place it has fallen to.

Psalm 139:23-24 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: 24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

No comments: