Thursday, August 27, 2015

Nothing Can Separate From God's Love

Romans 8:38-39  For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, 39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. 

Nothing can separate us from God's love, not even sin.  Sin will bring a separation in the relationship, but doesn't change God's love.  God is and always will be love.

God always loved Israel, even when they were in sin.  Judgment had to come upon them, not because of lack of love, but because of love.  God's judgment on sin and love are not opposed to one another.  Just like when a parent disciplines a child it is because he/she loves the child.

I believe our perceptions concerning this get distorted when we get disciplined or punished out of anger or frustration. Or when we receive inappropriate discipline because of the mood of the parent. God never has a bad day.  So we never have to walk around "on egg shells" hoping not to upset Him.
The following two commonly known scriptures from Jeremiah are found in the midst of God telling Israel of the coming judgment upon them for their sin. Within these we see God's continued love and care for them in spite of their disobedience and the need for judgment/discipline.

Jeremiah 29:11-14  For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. 12 Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. 13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart. 14 And I will be found of you, saith the LORD: and I will turn away your captivity, and I will gather you from all the nations, and from all the places whither I have driven you, saith the LORD; and I will bring you again into the place whence I caused you to be carried away captive. 

Jeremiah 31: 3 The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.

In the following verses Jeremiah is remembering that God is indeed a loving and merciful God, even as he grieves over the condition of Israel/Jerusalem as a result of the judgment.

Lamentations 3:21-24 This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. 22 It is of the LORD’S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. 23 They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. 24 The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him.




No comments: