Saturday, October 22, 2016

FOR THE JOY SET BEFORE HIM

As I was partaking of communion this morning, I was thinking of the passover meal that we know as the last supper when Jesus shared the bread and wine with His disciples.  The sharing of His body and blood in that way that night was the beginning of what we now celebrate at communion.  In Luke 22:15 it is recorded that Jesus said, "With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer..."  I was thinking Jesus, how could you look forward to this meal with great desire, knowing the great suffering that you were about to go through? Shortly after sharing the bread and wine of that passover meal with the disciples, Jesus went to the garden of Gethsemane And saith unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful unto death: tarry ye here, and watch. 35 And he went forward a little, and fell on the ground, and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him. 36 And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt." (Mark 14:34-36)

In light of that, how could Jesus have looked forward to that meal with great desire? As I was thinking about that, the scripture that came to mind was this.  "Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." (Hebrews 12:2)   Jesus was looking beyond the suffering and pain to the victory and joy that would be on the other side of the cross for Himself and for His disciples.


Because of the joy that was set before Him, I have often wondered if Jesus had a smile on His face as "He said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost." (John 19:30) 

No comments: