Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Tribute To Wade Taylor

In February of 1979, I made my first trip to a small Bible school in the woods of upstate New York.  When my college roommate and I set out on the trip to visit her friend at Pinecrest Bible Training Center in Salisbury Center, NY, I had no idea how profoundly my life would be influenced by that place or through the life and teaching of the founder of that school.  The founder of that school was Wade Taylor, affectionately called Brother Taylor by many. 

 That weekend in 1979, I was given a small book titled The Secret of the Stairs.  Over the next several years I read and reread that book until it was falling apart.  The author of that book was also Wade Taylor.  Eventually Brother Taylor revised and added to that book, but somehow I kept being drawn back to the copy I was originally given, even though I bought some of the later editions.

Wade Taylor went home to his eternal reward yesterday.  That is the reason for writing this post in loving memory of a man whose life had a profound effect on many.  It is hard to put into words what I learned from him.  I believe the most important thing I learned was about having an intimate relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ.  I gained an appreciation for the presence of God, waiting on God and sitting in His presence.  Through this I have gained more than I could ever articulate. 

I gleaned much over the years listening to Brother Taylor speak, even when he shared the same thing over and over again.  I gleaned much through his articles in The Banner and his books.  I received much through his prayers for impartation. 
 

John 12:23-26 And Jesus answered them, saying, The hour is come, that the Son of man should be glorified. 24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. 25 He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal. 26 If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.
   

I keep thinking of the above scripture in relation to Brother Taylor.  Jesus spoke this shortly before He gave His life on the cross.  What He had invested of Himself in others would live on in them and continue to bear much fruit.  There was a necessary dying that had to take place for the fullness of this to happen.  In the same way, what Wade Taylor has imparted into lives of others, through his ministry, will live on in the earth and continue to be multiplied into “much fruit.”  I have a sense that with his passing there will be a further maturing of the fruit that has come forth from his life.   Bro. Taylor served God for many years investing in the lives of others.  I believe God is honoring him today as he has gone to be where Jesus is.

 Thank you Brother Wade Taylor

No comments: