Thursday, March 12, 2015

Even In Famine

 Psalm 33:18-19 (ESV)    Behold, the eye of the LORD is on those who fear him, 
      on those who hope in his steadfast love, 19 hat he may deliver their soul from death 
      and keep them alive in famine. 

Today as I read through Psalm 33, verses 18 & 19 caught my attention. I was rejoicing and thanking God that His eye is upon those who fear Him.  And I was asking Him to give me a greater understanding of what it really means to fear Him, so that I may walk in the fear of the Lord.

I was thanking Him for delivering my soul from death. Then I got to the next phrase and it kind of stunned me for a few seconds.  "Keep them alive in famine."    Wait a minute shouldn't He keep me from being in a famine....no that is not what it says. I think too often we think God is supposed to keep us from difficult situations.  But that is not what is promised in Scripture.  What is promised is that He will take care of us in the midst of difficulties.

Psalm 34:19 (ESV) says "Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the LORD delivers him out of them all."  We are not kept from the affliction, but we are assured that He will deliver us out of them ALL.

Jesus said "I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world." John 16:33 (ESV)

I thank God for His promise of providing for my every need, even in the midst of famine!!!






.

No comments: