Thursday, February 17, 2011

I Am My Beloved's

The Song of Solomon is a love story that can be applied to the love relationship between Christ and His church or individual believers. In this story the love relationship deepens as the story goes on.

Song of Solomon 2:16 My beloved is mine, and I am his We see here a focus on self. Jesus in mine and secondarily I am His. This would lead to a focus on the personal needs of the individual.

Song of Solomon 6:3 I am my beloved’s, and my beloved is mine. Here there has been some growth to where the focus is on the fact that she belongs to Jesus and secondarily He is hers. Out of this there would come more of a focus on what Jesus would want in a situation and not just her personal needs.

Song of Solomon 7:10 I am my beloved’s, and his desire is toward me. At this point in the love relationship the central focus is on Jesus. Now she can operate in oneness with Him.

In the past I thought that this last step meant she would need to grow to the point of being worthy of His desire being toward her, of having to become mature enough to warrant His attention. Thus this love is something she had to earn. But I have come to believe that this is not the case. I believe that this is the point at which she finally realizes the truth that really she is His and His desire is toward her. His desire has been toward her all along. Now she finally knows it. Finally all the other stuff that has kept her from this truth have been stripped away. Now all the distractions, all other loves, have been stripped away and she can fully submit to His desires knowing that He always has her best interest at heart. Now she really knows Jesus loves her.

No comments: