Friday, February 11, 2011

My Weakness, God's Strength

One night, a few years ago, as I was praying I started to ask God to give me strength. Then I stopped and corrected myself and asked God to be my strength. I am sure it was God that caused me to make that correction in my prayer. I immediately thought of 2 Corinthians 12:9, "my strength is made perfect in weakness." I said, "God, I don't like feeling so weak." His immediate response was, "you might as well get used to it." I chuckled. Even now as I think about this, it brings a smile to my face.

I truly am weak and would do well to recognize that on a daily/moment by moment basis God is my strength, rather than trying to do things in my own strength. God wants to be the strength of my life and carry the burdens and responsibilities, resulting in a walk of peace and rest.

Matthew 11:28-30 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

I grew up believing that being weak is a bad thing. But God has been showing me that it is not the case. My attempts to walk in my own strength have just gotten in the way. The reality is that even when I thought I was strong I was really weak and always have been. By trying to give the illusion of being strong I have just worn myself out trying to carry and do the things that God should have been.

When I feel the weakest God is just as strong within me as when I feel the strongest. I just need to yeild to His strength that is always there.

Oh God, please help me, teach me, to walk in the humility that acknowledges my weakness and does not feel ashamed of it, but can truly revel in your strength being made perfect within me in my weakness.


2 Corinthians 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Psalm 27:1-3 The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? 2When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell. 3Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident.

Psalm 18:1-2 I will love thee, O LORD, my strength. 2The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.

Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.

No comments: