Thursday, March 10, 2011

I Shall Not Want

Psalm 23:1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

I have been sharing a series of short teachings on Psalm 23 at church mostly geared to the kids on the Sundays that they stay in the adult service. So recently I have been spending time in that Psalm once again. Tonight I was thinking again about verse one, especially the second part.

It is because the Lord is my shepherd that I will not be in want. He is a good shepherd and knows my every need. He is my creator. Who better than my creator to know my needs.

I shall not want does not mean I will get everything I think I want or need. I may get the things I want but that is not guaranteed.

It does mean that Jesus who knows best will give me what he knows I need when I need it---I know I can trust him to be a good shepherd and take good care of me in every situation.

I believe David had come to know God well enough/ was in relationship with God in such a way that he trusted him to take good care of him even in the really hard times.

Phillip Keller, in the book "A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23," says the main concept is of not lacking in proper care or management--also the idea of being utterly contented in the Good Shepherd’s care and consequently not craving or desiring anything else. Staying in his care and not continually jumping the fence and leaving the care of the good shepherd.

No comments: