Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Steadfast Love and Mercy

Psalm 147 :11 in the ESV uses the words "steadfast love" in place of "mercy." When I read that last night is reminded me of the song we used to sing from Lamentation 3:22-23. Lamentation 3:22-25 The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is thy faithfulness. "The LORD is my portion." says my soul, "therefore I will hope in him." The LORD is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him." (ESV) I chose to add the two additional verses because they seem to complete the thought to me. Again, as in Ps. 147:11, our only real hope is in the LORD, in His mercy or steadfast love. I like that word "steadfast." It means firm and never changing. God's love and mercy are connected and both are firm and never changing. That makes me feel secure to know that these characteristics of God will not change. Another verse that this reminds me of is, Psalm 103:4 "Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies." I remember reading somewhere or in another translation that "crowneth" means to "surround." So God surrounds us, perhaps like a hug or shield with His lovingkindness and tender mercies. This also makes me feel secure. In Ps. 103:4, we also see yet another aspect of God's mercy....it is tender. That makes me feel safe.

No comments: